THE THINGS THAT MAKE PLACES DIFFERENT “CATAPLANA”!!
Nowadays on very few cook meals while on holidays. In particular while staying in a villa rental in Albufeira maybe Villas Albufeira if there is a big group or an apartment rental in Lagos there are so many excellent restaurants to visit. Part of the joy of this type of holiday villas break is the experience of various cuisines and the opportunity to learn new recipes and try later in the year back home. The cataplana stew is a fish delicacy from the Portuguese region. It gets its name from the cookware it’s made in. The actually Cataplana is the name of the pot the meal is cooked. You might have to impro
vise on the cookware but it will be worth the effort.
Nowadays you can find superb Cataplana in most of the restaurants in Algarve. If your in a self-catering apartment in Albufeira or Villas in Albufeira maybe try Cabana Fresca or Restaurante Casa Do Chefe restaurant in Albufeira. Or if you decided to book a villa Alvor or Alvor Villa maybe try Fisherman’s beach, Travessa Cais Herculano, Restaurante O Alcade in Alvor, , and the dish is popular so you will find it served in most restaurants. Recently while viewing one of our apartments in Lagos Patio do Convento we had a beautiful Cataplana in Reis on Rua António Barbosa Viana 21, 8600 Lagos Tel 282 762 900
The cataplana meal is comprised of fish normally monkfish, shrimp, and mussels though the ingredients can include meat and may vary depending on the region.. It can be served with rice, potatoes or French fries.
A traditional copper cataplana is used to make and serve this meal, though that should not restrict you, you can use whatever you have. Here is a simple recipe on how to make the tasty stew.
- I tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Sausages or fresh skinless chorizo.
- 1 ½ Sliced shallot which is optional
- 1 ½ chopped garlic
- 1 pounded fresh manila clams.
- 1 ½ medium sized shrimp.
- ¼ of sliced tomatoes, either fresh or canned.
- 2 tablespoons of white wine
- Sea salt.
- 1 lemon for garnishing and chopped parsley.
- In a cataplana pan, pour in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, under low heat.
- Add in the sausage and cook till they brown do not overcook them.
- Add the shallots (optional) and garlic. Cook until the mixture is soft for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimps, clams, tomatoes, white wine and some paprika. You can then season using salt and pepper.
- Cove to simmer over medium heat to avoid burning, ensure that the shrimps are pink cook for approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Tastes to feel if the seasoning is balanced if not add a little seasoning.
- Sprinkle some olive oil, chopped parsley and squeeze the lemon in it.
- Serve directly from the Cataplana pot.
This is a must try when back from your holiday. Nice meal to enjoy with family.
My name is Hilda and I blog with holiday rental platform www.goholidaylets.com. We advertise for the global holiday rental accommodation market. As a team of bloggers we try to provide you with interesting content and information. We continuously write about various items in relation to activities associated with rental of of holiday villas we think you ll find interesting and useful. Today my column is about food a fish dish called cataplana. Please feel free to browse our site and load your property from free. Or book one of our wonderful homes. We are spread throughout the world. Part of our task is to give you keyword suggestions. For fish restaurants for example “fish restaurant Lagos” fish restaurant Birmingham” etc For holiday rental depending on locations use keywords such as: apartment Lagos, villa Alvor, apartment Vilamoura, apartments Algarve even.
Tags : algarve villas algarve villa holidays, algarve rentals, apartments algarve, algarve apartments apartments in algarve, algarve accommodation, algarve villa rentals, vilamoura apartments, villas vilamoura, alvor apartments apartments in alvor, alvor villas, villas to rent in albufeira apartments to rent in albufeira villa to rent in portugal, self catering albufeira, albufeira accommodation, lagos apartments,